Museums

 


Brick School House

This school is the only remaining one-room schoolhouse open to the public in Coventry and is set-up to represent the character of the first half of the 20th century.  The Brick School, built between 1923-1825, replaced an earlier school that was built nearby in 1737 and burned in the winter of 1821-22.  Besides serving as a hands-on-museum the Brick School is the center of the CHS school program.  The Society's Education Director has been working diligently to collect oral histories from people who attended school in the one-room schoolhouses in Coventry. She has received many donations of photographs and other memorabilia from former students and teachers. These items are on display at the Brick School seasonally, May through October.

The Brick School is open to the public on the first and third Sundays of the month, May through early October from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on special occasions. Our "Sundae on a Sunday" ice cream social is held at the Brick School each year on Fathers' Day. It's a great time to see the school and listen to folks reminisce about school in the good ole days. Admission is free. Donations are gratefully accepted.

BRICK SCHOOL REOPENS

 

The Brick School will open for the 2016 season on Sunday, May 15th.  Come see the new discoveries in Coventryís one-room schools.  In addition to the new display we will be offering programs families and all the young at heart.  The Brick School is open on the first and third Sundays of the month from 1-4 PM.  Exhibit and programs are free but donations are always welcome.

 

May 15th            Opening Day

June 19th            Bring Dad to Sundae on a Sunday. Toppings include fresh strawberries and homemade hot fudge sauce.  Sundaes are $2.00 each; Dadís are free.

Oct (to be determined)             Halloween Party (best suited to ages 3-8). $2 per child Reservations will ensure that we have adequate supplies and food.  Last day open.

 

As always reservations for the programs are helpful but not required.  For more info and/or reservations email.




Strong Porter Museum, South Street 2016
The Strong Porter Museum will open for the season on June 5tht. It will be open from 12 to 3 p.m. every Sunday through October 2nd.


The Coventry Historical Society owns and maintains two museums whose purposes are two-fold:

■to acquire and preserve printed material and artifacts related to the town of Coventry and make these materials available for reference and research
■to educate the public about the history of Coventry and its inhabitants through displays, programs and publications


Strong-Porter Museum - circa 1730, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as the Historical Society's Museum. Five rooms of the house, as well as several outbuildings, including a carpenter shop, carriage sheds, and barn are open to the public. Of special interest is the 19th century privy, recently returned to its original location and accurately restored. The Great Barn Foundation, located at the back of the property was uncovered in 2002. The barn originally stood two-stories high, with livestock housed on the upper, ground level floor that was accessed by ramps at either end of the barn, and equipment and other farming implements being housed on the lower level.

Located at 2382 South Street, just west of the Nathan Hale Homestead, Coventry, Connecticut 06238 - Open seasonally June through mid-October. Admission is free.



These museums are supported completely by the efforts of community volunteers. If you would like to volunteer at either museum, please call 860-860-8290.






Coventry Historical Society, Inc.
PO BOX 534
Coventry, CT 06238


Copyright 2002-2016 Coventry Historical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.

Further reproduction, publication, or dissemination is limited to fair use by individuals for private purposes or research only.

This material may in no way be further reproduced except with the specific written permission of the Coventry Historical Society, Inc.